This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Earning Extra Income

Onale101
Earning Extra Income

Postby Onale101 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:21 pm

I am thinking of trying to boost my income by selling online.

I am unsure about how and what tax I would be expected to pay if I did this.

I am also currently employed and earning a salary of approx 21,000 gross so around 18,000 net which gets taxed accordingly.

How would it work if I started selling as a registered business online? When working it out Would I have to declare what I earnt as a salary aswell as any income received online and then tax gets adjusted accordingly. Or would I just ignore the tax from salary and only declare earnings from items sold?

Also, I keep hearing conflicting information surrounding the amount to be taxed. For example, would I get taxed on all sales irrespective of overhead costs or do I need to work out sales and deduct costs to get profit and then declare that?

Also, am I right in thinking that when selling online you get a threshold limit of £1000 per annum of sales before it can be taxed? Again, is this total sales or total profit? And does this still apply when earning a salary?

Many thanks

pawncob

Re: Earning Extra Income

Postby pawncob » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:28 pm

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/thinking-of-starting-up-in-business

https://www.gov.uk/set-up-sole-trader

You pay tax on your profits, not your turnover.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Jholm

Re: Earning Extra Income

Postby Jholm » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:03 pm

£1,000 turnover before you are required to report income.

If turnover > £1k but expenses < £1k, then claim the £1k allowance in place of expenses.

If you expect significant income, I would strongly suggest to appoint a professional, as your query suggests quick basic misunderstandings (no fault of your own). Sometimes a small additional cost can save more in the long run.

Return to “Income Tax”