This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Disposal of my work van

davisplastering
Disposal of my work van

Postby davisplastering » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:34 pm

I am a sole trader and I purchased an MWB van for my business in 2018/19 for £10,000. The use is 90:10 business-to-personal, and I claimed £9,000 as an AIA at the time.

The van I bought is too small, and I need a larger one. I plan to keep the small van and use it for personal use. What is the procedure for disposing of the van from my business in my accounts?

I estimate that the current value of the van to be £5,000-6,000.

robbob

Re: Disposal of my work van

Postby robbob » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:31 pm

You will have a balancing charge for 90% of disposal proceeds presuming private use is still 10% - this figure is added to your income hopefully there will be a new AIA claim to limit the damage :)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Or keep it in your business and use it occasionally. No balancing charge to worry about.

davisplastering

Postby davisplastering » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:05 am

Hi both, thank you for the replies.

Excuse my ignorance but I want to make sure I do this correctly. So if I were to keep it in my business, but the use change from 90:10 (in favour of work), down to 10:90 although I claimed 100% AIA in year 1, that's not a problem and I don't need to make any adjustments in my self-assessment and can carry along and buy a second van?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:48 pm

Yes. A balancing charge only arises when the asset pool is empty of the trade ceases.

Your van is in a single asset pool, with allowable expenditure of 0. (Because you claimed it all under AIA).

When you dispose of the van, you will have a balancing charge of the difference between 0 and its value at that time. the charge is restricted to the business proportion. So if you sell it now for £6000, you will have a balancing charge of £5400.

If you keep it in your business, you haven't disposed of it, and wont have a balancing charge.

When you eventually do dispose of it, it will be worth less (it might even be worthless) so a smaller balancing charge. If it is worth anything the balancing charge will be restricted by the average business/private percentage over the life of the van.

davisplastering

Postby davisplastering » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Thanks! To clarify on
If it is worth anything the balancing charge will be restricted by the average business/private percentage over the life of the van.
Year 1 90:10 work:personal (£9k of £10k cost claimed under AIA)
Year 2 50:50 work:personal
Year 3 10:90 work:personal

Disposed of in year 3 at a value of £5,000. What balancing charge would I be putting down? My average over the three years would be 50:50, would I put a balancing charge of £2,500 down? surely that means I pay less tax on it, even though I claimed 90% of the cost to the business?

Return to “Income Tax”