This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Lending money to adult daughter

NickPrice
Lending money to adult daughter

Postby NickPrice » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:58 pm

I'm in the process of selling a property and since my daughter cannot get a mortgage, I was wondering whether there is a tax implication in me lending her all the proceeds of sale, so that she can buy a house? She would pay me back only the principal not with any added interest.

pawncob

Re: Lending money to adult daughter

Postby pawncob » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 pm

No tax implications. (Keep enough back to pay the CGT)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Jholm

Re: Lending money to adult daughter

Postby Jholm » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm

Assuming your property sale is taxable (your query suggests you have multiple so I imagine it is likely), bear in mind CGT as stated by pawncob.

Also consider that as of April 2020, any disposal of UK residential property that gives rise to tax must be reported to HMRC within 30 days, with the relevant tax paid.

Return to “Income Tax”