This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rent-a-Room relief and High Income Child Benefit Charge

KarenFa
Rent-a-Room relief and High Income Child Benefit Charge

Postby KarenFa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Hello,

I am currently just under £50,000 in annual income, so don't have High income Child Benefit Charge. I am thinking of renting out a room in my house which will bring in 4-5,000 a year. However, does it count towards my income and does it mean that I will be liable for the High Income Child Benefit Charge? I have three young children so it matters...

Any help appreciated...

robbob

Re: Rent-a-Room relief and High Income Child Benefit Charge

Postby robbob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:36 pm

Hello KArenFa

Good news is that as long as you remain in the house you can earn up to £7,500 per year tax free so at 4-5k per year you won't have any problems with that income affecting your child benefit.

https://www.gov.uk/rent-room-in-your-home/the-rent-a-room-scheme

Return to “Income Tax”