This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income tax & Gift Aid.

2912pwil
Income tax & Gift Aid.

Postby 2912pwil » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:52 pm

Greetings all & thanks for all & every comment!

My brother died, 83, intestate, Dec 2020 (not covid). I and sole remaining other sibling expect (going through solicitors) to inherit & be executors.

We know he wanted to leave money to various Charities & will respect those wishes. But there's the question of what best benefits charity from a (for example) £10k donation to Battersea Dogs.

We've been led to understand gift aid is not possible from an estate. So rather than direct £10k from estate, could direct the £10k to me or other sibling, then donate with gift aid: (Legal & OK??) - so another £2.5k to the dogs.

But also understand from
https://www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid
- that ### Paying enough tax to qualify for Gift Aid

Your donations will qualify as long as they’re not more than 4 times what you have paid in tax in that tax year (6 April to 5 April).

The tax could have been paid on income or capital gains.

You must tell the charities you support if you stop paying enough tax.
####

I pay about £10k tax, so OK for my own charity donations and those "from late brother via me" up to £40k donations??

Wish to ensure we're doing this all above board & legit.

Best wishes to all & thanks in advance.

pawncob

Re: Income tax & Gift Aid.

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:47 pm

Is the estate taxable? Charity relief exempts the donation from the estate, saving 40% IHT.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

2912pwil

Postby 2912pwil » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:25 pm

Below limit, probably £180k-ish. (Low, partly due to very imprudent "Equity release" scheme/scam with surprising interest rates)

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:24 am

There's nothing to stop you making donations from the monies you receive from the estate, and claiming gift aid.

2912pwil

Postby 2912pwil » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:57 am

And as we've been led to understand gift aid is not possible from an estate???

2912pwil

Postby 2912pwil » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:28 pm

Probate granted, joint with my sister. A supplementary question. House currently under offer, hope sorted by Xmas.

Would HMRC consider it fair to add these donations to other charitable giving that I report on MY tax return & gain extra relief from MY income tax bill?? (If legit I think I’d then in fairness bung half the savings to sister…)

Best regards!

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:39 pm

As to the question: can Gift Aid be claimed on a donation to charity in a person's will? I'm assuming the point of the enquiry is whether the difference between the 40% IHT rate and basic rate tax can be reclaimed in the same way as outlined above.

The answer is no - the person's estate has already escaped the 40% tax that would have been charged on the amount of the gift.

So for example, a gift of £5,000 would reduce your IHT bill by £2,000. Any further concession would be like having two bites of the cherry, and while chancellors are generous in their treatment of charitable gifts, they are not that generous.
From: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-1674672/Can-executors-claim-Gift-Aid.html

2912pwil

Postby 2912pwil » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:13 am

Thanks, not quite: The question is, after inheritance comes down to me & my sister (he died intestate, no will), knowing what we do of his previous wishes we plan to donate £10ks to various charities in his memory. In our names, me & my sister, substantial amounts.

For some years I've been declaring charity donations to HMRC in my annual self assessment, to reduce MY income tax bill. Is it/would it be legit to make donations, claim gift aid & then me to claim income tax relief later on self assessment, please?

Return to “Income Tax”