This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK Taxation of US Support Payments

Mikethebook
UK Taxation of US Support Payments

Postby Mikethebook » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:10 pm

My wife is an American citizen self-employed in the UK. During the year to 5th April 2021 she received support payments from the USA. How are these to be shown on her Tax Return and how are they to be treated for UK income tax? I assume references to support payments on the Return refer to UK support payments. She has received nothing from the UK.

Mikethebook

Re: UK Taxation of US Support Payments

Postby Mikethebook » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:51 pm

I've had a reply from HMRC on Messenger as follows: "The US payments are not taxable in the UK as they are being treated as tax refunds." Question answered. Maybe that will help someone else.

DavidTreitel

Postby DavidTreitel » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:45 am

It is not clear what you mean by "support payments". If you mean Economic Impact Payments (stimulus), I am pleased to report that that I succeeded in getting HMRC to agree that these are not taxable in the UK. Thee are various other kinds of tax credits and COVID related support provided in the States to which you might be alluding however.

Mikethebook

Postby Mikethebook » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 am

I do indeed mean Economic Impact Payments. Though my question to HMRC didn't specify them and was phrased like my opening question here. I guess HMRC guessed I was referring to the Economic Impact Payments.

Return to “Income Tax”