This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Expenses for use as Furnished Holiday Let when property falls slightly short of FHL tax criteria

Radge70
Expenses for use as Furnished Holiday Let when property falls slightly short of FHL tax criteria

Postby Radge70 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Hi,

Owing to the pandemic, my property didn't quite meet the criteria this year to be classed as a Furnished Holiday Let so I will be putting it through my self assessment as just a normal rental property. It did, operate as an Airbnb (when allowed), however so I am wondering if I can still claim for the expenses incurred whilst it was being used for this purpose. I am meaning things like milk, coffee, alcohol and toiletries ect that were provided for guests and can normally be claimed for if the property meets the FHL criteria for the year.

pawncob

Re: Expenses for use as Furnished Holiday Let when property falls slightly short of FHL tax criteria

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:59 pm

I don't see why they wouldn't be allowable, B&Bs charge them against tax.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

darthblingbling

Re: Expenses for use as Furnished Holiday Let when property falls slightly short of FHL tax criteria

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Been a while since I looked at FHL, but I'm sure there is some leniency if you didn't quite make the thresholds for a FHL but was a FHL in the previous year. Not a descretiomary one, but laid out in statute. ITTIOA 2005 s326

You may be able to claim it as a FHL this year?

Return to “Income Tax”