This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax treatment when relocating to the UK from Germany

Cap_Scarlet
Tax treatment when relocating to the UK from Germany

Postby Cap_Scarlet » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:59 am

What is the tax treatment in Germany and the UK for an individual relocating from Germany to the UK on 5th April in a tax year (lets say 5th April 2018)?

My understanding is that the individual submits a UK tax return for 2018/2019 on their worldwide income but what is the treatment in Germany (whose tax year runs to December)?

My interpretation is that the individual who does not retain a residence in Germany and is not in Germany for more than 183 days would be "beschränkte steuerpflichtig" i.e. taxable on their German income. But for what period? i.e. assuming the German source income continues into the UK residence period, the income (after 5 April) has been declared on the UK tax return. Does a tax return have to be submitted in Germany for the entire year or just the period up to 5th April?

Appreciate any thoughts

AGoodman

Re: Tax treatment when relocating to the UK from Germany

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:22 pm

I suspect you need to find a forum on German tax

Return to “Income Tax”