This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

GIFT AID

DonaldF
GIFT AID

Postby DonaldF » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:34 am

This question is about the eligibility of a donation for inclusion in the Gift Aid scheme.

A trustee of a registered charity, i.e. a church, and another person, who is a member of the church, run a youth ministry for the church.

Although the church has a bank account, subscriptions are paid into and expenses paid from a current account held jointly in the names of the trustee and the church member. The account is used exclusively for the youth ministry.

The trustee recently made a donation of £50 to be used for the youth ministry. However, this donation was not made into the bank account held by the church, but into the bank account held jointly by the trustee and the church member.

The Trustee has completed a Gift Aid declaration.

My question is this. Because the donation from the trustee was lodged in a bank account in her name and the name of the church member, does this mean that it is not eligible for inclusion in the Gift Aid scheme, even though it was for the exclusive benefit of the church via its youth ministry?

DonaldF

Re: GIFT AID

Postby DonaldF » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:27 am

I should also mention that the balance of the bank account held jointly by the trustee and the church member is included in the balance sheet of the church as cash-in-hand.

Return to “Income Tax”