This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Paying Tax as a non resident on a short term visa.

modelagent01
Paying Tax as a non resident on a short term visa.

Postby modelagent01 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Hi there,

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the sunshine :)

I work for a fashion model that is in the country on a tier 5 short term visa (6 months), she's self employed and technically a resident of brazil. my question is would she need to pay tax in the UK or apply for some kind on double taxation certificate? this is our first non uk client so I'm a little confused by it, not technically part of my job but i obviously don't want her to fall foul so any help is greatly appreciated,

many thanks

James.

maths

Re: Paying Tax as a non resident on a short term visa.

Postby maths » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 pm

There is no comprehensive double tax agreement between UK and Brazil.

Thus, UK domestic law applies.

In principle, although not a UK resident, any profits attributable to work carried out in the UK is subject to UK income tax. Whether this is the case depends upon what work is normally carried out, how that work is obtained and how is that work actually carried out.

It's unclear in what capacity you work for the model.

Return to “Income Tax”