This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Investment Bond - segment encashments / increments

sentinell
Investment Bond - segment encashments / increments

Postby sentinell » Sat May 08, 2021 12:23 pm

Hi,

I wonder if someone could jog my memory.

I know that if an investment bond is incremented by way of additional segments, then those segments have a different number of relevant years if the whole bond is surrendered.

However, in an extreme hypothetical situation, lets say an investment bond is set up on 05/01/2010 and incremented by way of additional segments a few years later on 5 May. Now, assume money is raised by way of segment surrender where 2 of the original segments are encashed, and 2 of the incremented segments are encashed.

Am I correct in assuming that the incremented segments will have their own year end (4 May), as they are technically individual sub-policies, so potentially could fall into a different tax year for income tax purposes ?

Just need to clarify this in my own mind.

Thanks
Rgds
Neil

Return to “Income Tax”