This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

taxes when moving abroad

Joined:Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:42 pm
taxes when moving abroad

Postby marinero » Sun May 09, 2021 5:27 pm


Here's my situation:

A. EU citizen and UK tax resident
B. moving to Hong Kong at the end of September this year (ie just under six months into the tax year)

1. Am I considered UK tax resident when it comes to capital gains given I'm leaving before completing 183 days in the UK?
2. What happens to rent income I receive from my EU home country? Do I pay tax on those for the months I have been in the UK? (ie split-year treatment)

Anything else to consider?

Thank you in advance to this wonderful community for being so helpful.


Joined:Fri May 16, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: taxes when moving abroad

Postby AGoodman » Thu May 13, 2021 11:51 am

1. Probably (the 183 days test is only one of many) - but you could well qualify for split year treatment so that you become non-resident for CGT from the day of departure.

Look at RDR3 -

2. Yes, if split year treatment applies, it could apply here, but you will also want to consider the double tax treaty between the UK and home country.

Return to “Income Tax”