This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

does UK citizenship affect tax?

marinero
does UK citizenship affect tax?

Postby marinero » Sun May 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Hi,

Here's my situation:

A. EU citizen and UK tax resident
B. moving to Hong Kong at the end of September this year
C. not sure if I will ever return for work in the uk
D. I am considering applying for a UK passport before leaving, just in case.

Question: Are there any tax implications owning a UK passport, assuming I never come to the UK again? (inheritance tax, capital gains tax etc?) In other words is there a reason, as a EU citizen that I should NOT get a UK passport for this or that tax implication? For example, a USA passport has a lot of tax implications (they tax you on your global income even if you don't live in the USA)

Thank you in advance to this wonderful community for being so helpful.

Ted

maths

Re: does UK citizenship affect tax?

Postby maths » Sun May 09, 2021 6:13 pm

In short UK taxes are not linked to British citizenship (unlike the USA).

It would be one factor in ascertaining an individual's domicile status but this would not in my opinion be grounds for not proceeding tom apply.

KarenFa

Re: does UK citizenship affect tax?

Postby KarenFa » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:04 pm

You cannot have it both ways. You cannot get UK nationality as a foreigner while in the process of moving out and 'not sure' whether you are ever coming back. You wouldn't qualify unless you lie and say that you intend to live here.

Return to “Income Tax”