This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Can I claim refund for the income tax paid while not being a UK resident

saratchv
Can I claim refund for the income tax paid while not being a UK resident

Postby saratchv » Tue May 18, 2021 5:32 pm

I became a UK resident on 7th Sep 2020. Before that I was a tax resident in the country INDIA.
During 1st June 2020 - 6th Sep 2020, I was working for a UK employer and they paid my salary into my India bank account but only after deducting income tax and National Insurance.
Am I eligible to claim refund for the income tax and NI considering that I need to pay income tax in India for the above said period?

pawncob

Re: Can I claim refund for the income tax paid while not being a UK resident

Postby pawncob » Mon May 24, 2021 11:55 am

You'll get relief for the tax paid in the UK. See the Double Taxation Agreement.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

saratchv

Postby saratchv » Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm

Thanks #pawncob for your reply. Can you please elaborate on what is meant by "You'll get relief for the tax paid". Sorry I am new to this terminology!!

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu May 27, 2021 3:13 pm

If you pay tax in India, and that income is subject to tax in India, the Indian tax will be reduced by the amount paid in the UK.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”