This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cycle to work scheme

LEE1981
Cycle to work scheme

Postby LEE1981 » Fri May 21, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi

We have a cycle to work scheme at work and have an employee who lives about 50 miles away asking if he can join.
He has a company van and is out dealing with clients.

Occasionally is in the office.

My view is that he isn’t eligible as can’t realistic cycle to work. I know HMRC don’t expect a log but with the distance away and job role he has don’t see as feasible.

Maybe could say he cycles to local clients and meets a teammate with their van but I think it is pushing it.

Appreciate any views!

Thanks

Jholm

Re: Cycle to work scheme

Postby Jholm » Mon May 24, 2021 11:34 am

Not my forte, but I have worked for employers in the past who have offered me the scheme, even when I only intended to use the bike outside of work.

someone

Postby someone » Mon May 24, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm pretty sure the rules say that the majority of use has to be for work to qualify. But I've never had an employer who polices that. I have had one who was explicit about not being able to "top up" from own funds to buy a more expensive bike.

But I did wonder about someone buying a bike under the scheme, using it once for work and then putting it in the garage until the loan has been repaid, and only then using it for personal use.

LEE1981

Postby LEE1981 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The main issue here is he lives over 50 miles away from the office and rarely in the office as is out at sites in his work van. It is one thing living local and getting a bike through the scheme but not using it but in this case it is practically impossible for him to cycle to work. Think have answered my own question here but appreciate others input.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Tue May 25, 2021 8:45 am

From cycle to work guidance:

Employer: Do you have to offer the cycle to work scheme to the whole workforce? Yes, the scheme should generally be made available to all employees

Return to “Income Tax”