This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loan to a child on-lent to parent?

Incredulum
Loan to a child on-lent to parent?

Postby Incredulum » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:53 am

This is well outside my appreciation for any anti-avoidance rules that may apply and I should be most appreciative of any comments.

An individual, X, has a furnished holiday let, which has a 57% mortgage.

A relative, R, is going to give/lend them some money.

X has a child, C.

R will give/lend the cash to C, interest free. C will on-lend this to X against X's holiday let. C obtains interest income offsettable against personal allowance, X obtains tax deduction against FHL business, at 40%. As this is (to use a corporate term) mezzanine debt (second mortgage/bridging loan/effective equity) obviously a reasonably high interest rate, say 10%, will apply. C spends income on school fees.

I guess this might be annual interest, so would there be a need to withhold income tax? By making it repayable on demand do we get around this?

Thoughts? Many thanks.

pawncob

Re: Loan to a child on-lent to parent?

Postby pawncob » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:49 am

In theory, if it ain't "annual" then it isn't subject to deduction, but this is subject to challenge.
Why not deduct tax and then reclaim it?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks. No reason not to deduct the tax and reclaim it, apart from faff - and indeed I guess alerting HMRC to the existence of this structure which I guess might be prelude to investigation.

But otherwise no worries?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:14 pm

I can't see HMRC investigating one of the hundreds of tax deducted returns they receive every day.
Otherwise, no problems I can see.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Incredulum

Postby Incredulum » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks, Pawncob.

Return to “Income Tax”