This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC says not due refund

JoCar0411
HMRC says not due refund

Postby JoCar0411 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:06 am

Hi everybody here.

History of my tax for 20/21

April 1st 2020 - October 31st 2020...Working for XXXX, tax code was S1375M (was working for XXXX for over 9 years but not relevent, just here for background lol)
November 1st 2020 - March 31st 2021...Working for YYYY, tax code was S982MM1 (handed my P45 over to my new employer so no idea what happened)

Also the wage for new job is only an extra 1k a year, not massive.

HMRC has just calculated my Tax for the 20/21 year and says I have paid the right amount of tax...but not that I have paid too much.
My tax for 19/20 was £900 but jumped all the way up to £1400 for 20/21.

Surely my S982MM1 code was emergency? I am on S1383M as from 1st April this year.

Thanks all :)

Jholm

Re: HMRC says not due refund

Postby Jholm » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:39 am

Not enough info to say for sure (without proving pay and tax figures) but it's likely right if HMRC have already calculated. The lower tax code at the end could have been to collect an in-year underpayment, balancing everything off by end of tax year, which would explain why the tax code increased again at the end of the year. You should have a coding notice that will shed light on this.

Return to “Income Tax”