This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Return entry for Investment Bond withdrawals

ronaskew
Tax Return entry for Investment Bond withdrawals

Postby ronaskew » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:47 pm

In June 2020 I activated an "Income for Life" Bond from Metlife. This is an Offshore Investment Bond, which will now pay me a set sum every month for life.
My question is -
Do I need to declare these withdrawals on my Tax Return, since the total annual withdrawal is less than 5% of the initial fund value? (Although I thought that up to 5% did not incur tax, I don't know if I have to declare anything to HMRC?)
If I do, then how/where and what do I fill in on my tax return? (I'm so confused with the "Foreign" pages.)

Thanks in advance for any clarification you can provide
Ron

maths

Re: Tax Return entry for Investment Bond withdrawals

Postby maths » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:41 pm

If there is any UK income tax to pay due to a chargeable event gain the insurers would issue you with a certificate indicating the relevant figures to include in the Tax Return.

If you do not receive such a certificate then prima facie you have no income tax to pay and no disclosure on the Tax Return is necessary; this would often be the case where the 5% maximum per annum withdrawals are not exceeded.

As you policy is a foreign, not UK, policy any disclosures would be made on SA 106 in Boxes 43 to 45. See HS 321.

ronaskew

Re: Tax Return entry for Investment Bond withdrawals

Postby ronaskew » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:52 am

Many thanks for the reply. Your answer has confirmed what I was thinking, but, since it's the first time for me, I thought I would check.
I've not received any chargeable event certificate from Metlife, so I won't be including anything on this year's return.
Ron

PS. Because of low gains on the bond, I decided to surrender it earlier this month and invest elsewhere. I've since received a chargeable event certificate, and will be including its details on my 2021/22 Tax Return - on SA106 as you mention in your reply.
Thanks again for the info.

Return to “Income Tax”