This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Personal allowance/BR code on pension

GP1
Personal allowance/BR code on pension

Postby GP1 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi,
I stopped working in month 9 and took my pension from month 10. The BR code has been applied since month 10 to my pension income.
Am I right in thinking that the personal allowance code (1275) should be applied to my pension (only source of income) from month 10 - and not the BR code please ?? Thanks.

Jholm

Re: Personal allowance/BR code on pension

Postby Jholm » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:41 pm

Most likely, yes. Generally BR is used where a basic rate taxpayer has a secondary source of income and their full personal allowance already accounted for.

Tax coding issues are easily sorted by contacting HMRC.

However, since you refer to month 10, it suggests you are talking about the previous tax year. If that is the case, the tax year will soon be reconciled and an overpayment (if there is actually one), will be repaid.

Return to “Income Tax”