This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Averaging and High Income Child Benefit charge

Brightonian
Averaging and High Income Child Benefit charge

Postby Brightonian » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:52 pm

My client is an author and generally liable to higher rate tax and the child benefit charge. For 2020/21, his income was much lower than usual. Averaging could apply and would reduce his overall tax and NIC for 2019/20 and 2020/21. Using the averaged profit for 2019/20 would also reduce the Child Benefit charge. But can you reduce the CB charge in the same way that you can reduce tax and NIC? I can't find anything on this topic.

There is another difficulty. As business was so bad in 20/21, he applied for a fellowship that pays him for helping students with their writing. This forms almost 35% of his turnover. I note that averaging only applies to creative income. Should I take the element relating to the fellowship out and show it as a second self-employment? This would reduce the creative profits for 2020/21 and the averaged profit.

Brightonian

Re: Averaging and High Income Child Benefit charge

Postby Brightonian » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:04 pm

I have just seen something in the BIM manual that I missed before - the averaged profits become the profits for all purposes of the Income taxes Acts. Therefore it appears it does reduce Child Benefit, which is logical.

That's one question solved. I am still interested and would be very grateful to hear views on how to deal with the fellowship receipt.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:05 pm

Without researching, I would be inclined to agree about separating the trades out for averaging purposes.

It sounds like there is enough difference between the two activities.

Brightonian

Postby Brightonian » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:05 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I had been coming round to that point of view - thank you for reinforcing it.

Return to “Income Tax”