This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Am I receiving the correct UK Pensions with Tax Code S418L

Joesoap1952
Am I receiving the correct UK Pensions with Tax Code S418L

Postby Joesoap1952 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:40 am

Hi People,

Could some kind soul please help me out with my year 2021 -2022 UK Tax Deductions and
my UK PAYE Tax Code S418L.

I believe that I maybe paying the wrong income tax for year 2021-2022?

I punched-in my joint pensions years income into Money Saving Expert Income Tax Calculator, it came back that
my yearly income after tax should be £15,747/montly income £1,312
However, I'm currently averaging £1,254 a month and not as calculated by the above method!

My info, I'm a single Scottish male pensioner, aged 69, I live in Scotland, I pay no UK National Ins.
I have a company pension + a UK State Pension, I get my State Pension + Works Pension paid
to me monthly.

According to my UK Government Gateway Account statement my combined state/works 2021-2022 pensions will give me
a yearly income of £16,539

My tax free allowance is £12,639
This leaves me with £3,900 which is subject to income tax at 20 percent - £780/£65
a month, I will average after tax a monthly income of £1,254

I pay income tax on my works pension - Tax Code S418L, my last works pension statement - 18 June 2021, I
paid £70.25 pence tax on my June 21 income.

If I continue to pay monthly tax at the above rate I will have paid tax at a higher rate for year 2021 -2022, 12 x £70.25 = £843.

This is all very confusing to me, could someone please explain to me in simple terms that my monthly income is correct according
to my UK Government Gateway Account Statement?

Thank you ever so much.
Joe

D&C

Re: Am I receiving the correct UK Pensions with Tax Code S418L

Postby D&C » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:33 pm

There are a few bits where you may be confused or need to clarify things.

Firstly DWP do not pay State Pension monthly. It can be paid 4 weekly so have you understated this in your calculations?

Secondly Scottish residents have a small (c£2k) 19% tax band which has to be used before 20% tax is charged.

"My tax free allowance is £12,639".

Presumably you mean your tax code allowances (before deductions) are £12,639. This is slightly more than the standard Personal Allowance - what has been included in your tax code to increase this from £12,570?

Have you looked at the make up of your tax code and checked if each element is correct?

Return to “Income Tax”