This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HS304 - Non-residents relief

Jholm
HS304 - Non-residents relief

Postby Jholm » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Hi all,

Facts....

Every year, a HS304 form has been submitted alongside the tax return to claim relief for double taxation (non-resident client). This relates to private pensions, under the PA but where tax was paid under a BR code.

This year, no tax has been suffered so can I assume the HS304 is not required? I cannot find a definitive answer...

Does anybody know if it is only needed where there is tax to reclaim or does it also serve as a means of 'exempting' the gross income itself (in which case I would submit the form)?

Thanks,

maths

Re: HS304 - Non-residents relief

Postby maths » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:34 pm

If you file a UK Tax Return which would include the UK source pension but no UK tax at source was deducted from it then I would not enclose HS304 but simply disclose the pension on the Return and in the "white space" refer to the relevant Article of then DTA under which the UK have no right to levy their tax on the pension.

Jholm

Re: HS304 - Non-residents relief

Postby Jholm » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:46 am

Good shout, thanks M

Return to “Income Tax”