This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

COMPANY CAR ALLOWANCE TAX QUESTION

fletchdirect
COMPANY CAR ALLOWANCE TAX QUESTION

Postby fletchdirect » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:44 pm

Hi
Thanks in advance for your help. My question is as follows:
Years ago I used to have a company car allowance in lieu of a car - say £300 added to your pay each month, and taxed along with the rest of my income just as additional income. Nothing more, nothing less.
Now in a new job - I face 2 options
a) Take a car off the company car list - I can have anything from a Ford Focus to a BMW 320d
b) Take a cash allowance instead (on the assumption that I would have probably buy a car to use, although I already have one).
HR are telling me that the company car allowance would not be taxed like it used to be - but differently. Given that I have a lot of flexibility on cheap or more expensive cars - I am told that the tax on that cash allowance would be to the same value as the most expensive BIK heavy option on the list. So, not taxed at 40% like the rest of my income and that's it.
Is this true? Its seems a crazy rule.
I checked with HMRC and the said the same but I am not really sure they understood me, but I cannot find any info online about it at all. Most online advice is saying 'just taxed normally as income'. It seems suspect.
Anyone know the truth?
Thanks
Julian

Return to “Income Tax”