This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Estate agent's fees and tax allowances

mikewilsonsmith
Estate agent's fees and tax allowances

Postby mikewilsonsmith » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:32 pm

I sold my hospitality business and June 2020 and the estate agent's fees exceeded my profit for the year. Can the agent's fee be used as a business expenses for my partnership return and hence self assessment?
As an alternative, as i sold the business property at a loss (based on [sale price - purchase price - expenses buying&selling]) can i claim the agent's fees as part of a Capital Gains Loss - potential problem being that the hospitality business was also my main residence and so normally not subject to CGT?

pawncob

Re: Estate agent's fees and tax allowances

Postby pawncob » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 am

Agents fees are capital items allowable against any gain, or to increase a capital loss. Not allowable as a business expense.
Sale proceeds need to be apportioned between PPR and business. Reliefs may be available against either/both of these.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”