This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment and post Payment on Account

ConfusedWeb
Self Assessment and post Payment on Account

Postby ConfusedWeb » Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:28 pm

Really simple questions ( i think) , but i could not already find an answers in the search

I had a company last year, most payments were dividends so had to pay on account ( in the year 19/20) for 20/21) (fair enough)
This years self assessment (20/21). i owe tax including for some dividends for this year, (way less than last year) but i expected the payment on account from (19/20 for 20/21) figure to cover this, but it does not seem to have been considered in the online calculation. Have i missed something ?

ALso is it simple enough to get the payment on account removed if the majority of you earling are payee, just a web form ?

Many Thanks

robbob

Re: Self Assessment and post Payment on Account

Postby robbob » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 am

When you calculate your tax the actual bill is calculated without refernce yo any payments on acounnt that have been made.

Once return is processed then If relevant payments on account may be revised downover automatically by hmrc systems if relevant - roughly speaking payments on accout will be no more than 50% of final bill each.

SO if 5/4/21 return has ben processed your current position should be updated reasonably quikcly presuming return has been processed.

You can also reduce payments on account as appropriate at any stage - but figures always run the chance of being amended backup later if for any random reason you reduce payments too much.

Note if you are removed from sa the whole problem goes away for the tax year you are moved out of sa.

Return to “Income Tax”