This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Visa fee clawback tax relief

DrakeHarold
Visa fee clawback tax relief

Postby DrakeHarold » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:46 am

Hello.

My situation: when joining the last company, they payed my visa (Tier 2) fees, but put it into a clawback agreement. Now when I live the company, I pay all the money back.
I found that clawback might be considered a negative income and I can get a tax relief on that http://www.elexica.com/en/legal-topics/tax/100117-hmrc-guidance-on-bonus-clawback-arrangements

But the situation described there is different, there a person got a joining bonus, payed taxes, and then claimed the taxes back. In my case, I didn't pay anything directly, didn't pay any tax. If I payed the visa fees, I'd pay it from my taxed income.

AGoodman

Re: Visa fee clawback tax relief

Postby AGoodman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:29 pm

If you didn't pay tax on the visa fees then you can't reclaim it now.

Return to “Income Tax”