This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on UK retiree moving to Qatar for 2-3 years

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:13 pm
Tax on UK retiree moving to Qatar for 2-3 years

Postby AnthonyF » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:59 pm

I will be moving to Qatar with my wife who is working there for 2-3 years. I will qualify as non-resident in UK provided I don't come back for more than 183 days in any 1 year period. I am retired in UK with income or potential income from several sources. There is no income tax in Qatar, so I want to figure out how optimise my non-resident (potentially non-taxable) status while in Qatar. The different sources are:

1. UK full state pension which is currently subject to UK tax. Will it be untaxed while I am non-resident? I am guessing the rate may be frozen while I am in Qatar.

2. A SIPP pension pot which is untouched as yet, this would be normally be subject to UK income tax. If I start taking distributions in Qatar, will this also be untaxed? Can I make use of this non-taxable status to take extra funds tax-free to invest abroad? I am guessing any funds repatriated to UK would be taxable.

3. A 'qualifying' savings plan (endowment style) which is not subject to UK tax, but I plan to leave that untouched until I return to UK.

4. A private US pension which I have started taking distributions from, which is currently only subject to UK income tax (under double taxation agreement). If I continue take funds in Qatar, I am guessing it would come under the US/Qatari double taxation agreement and not even considered for UK tax.



Return to “Income Tax”