This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Top slicing

Alojzy
Top slicing

Postby Alojzy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:07 am

Help. Very confused. My father died in March. He held a prudential with profits bond UK onshore for 23 years

Bond funds have been released to estate account for inheritance.

A chargeable event certificate was issued on death. Qualifying years 23 since inception of bond.
He was basic rate tax payer.

Is it my father liable for any tax due ? If so this would be zero as top slicing relief would apply

Or is the estate liable in which case I don’t think top slicing would apply.
Someone suggested that the rules around top slicing after death changed in 2020 and I can’t get my head around it.

Advice appreciated.

maths

Re: Top slicing

Postby maths » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:34 pm

I assume father was the beneficial owner and life assured and the bond matured on his death. The bond I also assume was not held in trust.

Death occurred in tax year 20/21.

The income tax liability is that of the father ie the gain is treated as the income of the father for the tax year of death ie 20/21.

Return to “Income Tax”