This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Would employer pass on my address when registering me for PAYE

helg58
Would employer pass on my address when registering me for PAYE

Postby helg58 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Slipped into 'High Earner' status after change of job, was blissfully unaware that I would therefore have to file tax return. As HMRC also missed my letter giving them my new address ( I had moved a few months before) I never received a notice telling me to file a return. Now 18 months later I am hit with a massive penalty notice. Delicate detail: I had moved again in April 2021 and when I asked why they suddenly had my new address the agent said it was entered on 23 April 2021 on their system. Only explanation: the new job (start 12 April) had triggered an update on their database. I only received a penalty notice on 18 September (and it was dated 25 August). Would the first change of job also have advised them of my new address? Do PAYE filings by employers have this information and would HMRC notice/register any address that differs from what they have on their records? Apart from that I sent TWO letters to HMRC telling them my new address, once a short while after I had moved and a second time after a Tax Code Notice was sent to my old address that fortunately was still caught by the mail forward that was set up with Royal Mail. All these delays, are they a valid excuse to ask for cancellation of the late filing penalties?

pawncob

Re: Would employer pass on my address when registering me for PAYE

Postby pawncob » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:44 am

The fact that you informed HMRC on two occasions of a change of address is grounds for an appeal. Can you prove it? R.D. or registered mail? Do you still have misaddressed coding notice and proof of forwarding?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”