This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

W1 tax code

simon0867
W1 tax code

Postby simon0867 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:39 am

Hi,

I started a new job in May this year having been made redundant from my previous position. I submitted my P45 to my new employer.
My new payslips have always shown tax code S1199L W1
Is this an emergency code ?
The amount of pay I was earning dropped from my old job to my new, I’m not sure if that makes any difference?

Thanks very much for any advice, just want to check I’m not being taxed too highly

Lambs

Re: W1 tax code

Postby Lambs » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:14 pm

S,

You may have paid a little bit too much tax at the start. The "W1" denotes "Week 1" - i.e., you are getting one week's worth of tax-free Personal Allowance, bands, etc., against each week's pay, without looking at your cumulative "to date" position. But it is POSSIBLE that it will not have made much difference, if at all. The only way to be sure of the correct overall tax position is to re-calculate your aggregate position once the tax year is finished. So, for example, there may be a 'spare' week's worth of allowances from when you changed jobs.

Kind regards,

Lambs

simon0867

Re: W1 tax code

Postby simon0867 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks very much for the info and taking the time to reply, much appreciated

Return to “Income Tax”