This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self employed during COVID

cardplayer4
Self employed during COVID

Postby cardplayer4 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:40 pm

I am a freelancer,

I use my spare bedroom as an office - and normally I claim a fixed percentage (10%) -of my household costs to cover this.

During covid, my takings were about 20% of what they are normally - I relied on the SEISS grants.

My question is - how much can I claim this last year to cover my home as an office as against previous years?

I spent the first lock-down period designing a new web site, as well as the small amount of work I had.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Thank you

bd6759

Re: Self employed during COVID

Postby bd6759 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 pm

Use the same criteria you used to determine that 10% was correct.

iwmtaxadvisor

Postby iwmtaxadvisor » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:21 pm

The apportionment we use results in a change over Covid. We use (rooms worked in) / (total rooms) * (time spent working in that/those rooms)/(total time not spent working in those rooms). So, one would expect the 10% to rise during the last period.
Interested in other people's views.
We issued a video on Tax Claims for working at home, can provide the link of requested and not against moderator's rules?
Robert Warren
Book a free meeting

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:14 am

In a house with 5 rooms, 10% would be 84 hours per week.

Return to “Income Tax”