This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Moving abroad with ebay shop

Joined:Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:43 pm
Moving abroad with ebay shop

Postby paul100uk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:12 pm

My plans are to move abroad but continue to operate my ebay shop. I'll be non resident for tax purposes but do not want to fall foul of a rule where you still pay income tax on income sourced in the UK.

I have 3 choices.

I can post directly from abroad back to the UK (expensive).
I can send orders in bulk back to the UK and get them posted by an individual here (cheaper).
Or perhaps get someone to pack and send out orders who is based in the UK.

The items for sale have not originated in the UK. They are imports.

Do any of those 3 options come under the rule of 'income sourced in the UK'?

Secondly, i believe i have to be tax resident somewhere (otherwise you default to being UK tax resident). So i would need to spend at least 183 days in the same country. Is this correct?

Finally...can anyone recommend where i could get specialist tax advice? Income tax specialist may be too broad. Perhaps 'expat tax specialist' if there is such a thing?

Return to “Income Tax”