This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Van lease/purchase

Jkrealm
Van lease/purchase

Postby Jkrealm » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:09 am

Good Morning you lovely people, great forum.

I have looked and can't quite find the answer.

I have a full time job but also a part time self employed job, the part time job requires me to have a van but if I'm going to have a van I might as well use it to get to my main job too, no point have two vehicles.

Can I claim the van as expense on my self employed self assessment? There is alot of conflicting advice and also confusing as I am and will not be VAT registered. Would purchase or lease be better?

bd6759

Re: Van lease/purchase

Postby bd6759 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 pm

The only costs you can “claim” against your self-employment business are those that were incurred for the purpose of that business. Travel to your full time job is not such a cost.

Return to “Income Tax”