This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self Assessment Help

lorf_
Self Assessment Help

Postby lorf_ » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi all

I setup a small online sellers business via ebay last year and having to do my first years accounts. I'm a bit confused if I need to be doing self assessment as I'm already fully employed. When I started the business I bought £3000 worth of stock (out of my own money). In the first year I only sold £2200 worth after fees and postage costs. Will I need to declare this to HMRC as I'm not sure if this is classed as income with it being a loss? Sorry if its a silly question but really not done this sort of thing before :lol:

I bought a bit more stock in the second year but I'm looking to stop selling as it just hasn't worked out sadly but still left with this worry about tax. I did register for self assessment when I first started in May 2020.

Thanks!

pawncob

Re: Self Assessment Help

Postby pawncob » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 am

Have you taken stock in hand into your "loss" calculation?
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”