This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Residence

javasumatra
Residence

Postby javasumatra » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:00 am

Hello All,

I lived in the UK all my life until 2012. I was an IT contractor, I got a bit fed up with London and took up a full time job with a bank in Dublin in May 2012.

I paid all my taxes in the UK and my accountant wound up the company in 2012 and filed my final tax return for 2013 in 2014.

I was requested to do a tax return for 2014 but my accountant suggested that I call HMRC and explain that I was no longer living in the UK and had no income over there that I did not have to do the return. I called HMRC, told them the situation and that was that.

In 2013, I went to work for a prestigious IT company still in Ireland with no break in work. Finished company A on Friday, started new job on Monday. the new company was 39 hours a week and I had a little apartment which I lived in

I sold a little investment property in the UK that I had in late 2014, It had not been rented and generated no income, I checked the rules and as a non resident, I noted that I did not have to pay CGT and I do not think that I had to report it.

I am a bit concerned. I know I passed the SRT on the 3rd overseas automatic test, 39 hours a week, no breaks, spent about 15 days in the UK. What I am worried about is -

1. Have I done the right think not reporting the gain?
2. I don't have much evidence going back to 2014 apart from Irish tax returns and payslips to show I was in Ireland. A long shot is that I might be able to get the clock in and clock out records from work, but we are going back a bit here.
3. I checked my gov account to try and check up on this and it says I am still registered for SA although I have not had a reminder, bill or anything for years. Should I really have been submitting returns as well for all those years?

Thansk in advance for any advice.

pawncob

Re: Residence

Postby pawncob » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:47 am

Did you complete a P85 when you left the UK?
https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

javasumatra

Re: Reside

Postby javasumatra » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:58 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I called hard and let them know I had left the country. I am not sure if my accountant filed a p85 (I didn’t do one independently.) I should mentioned that my accountant retired, wound up the firm and subsequently passed away.

etf

Re: Residence

Postby etf » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:54 pm

Does your self assessment record show that the 2013/14 UK tax return was cancelled by HMRC following your telephone call? If so, presumably no further UK tax returns have been issued to you for any subsequent tax years. Is that correct?

Also have you advised HMRC of your latest address?

Return to “Income Tax”