This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Remittance Basis

eriksch
Remittance Basis

Postby eriksch » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:30 pm

Hello everyone, I have the following question:
Since moving to the UK 3 years ago I was claiming the remittance basis (I am non-domiciled).
I am considering of bringing my savings to the UK now and was wondering how it will be taxed. I don’t have a personal allowance of GBP 12.570 so I start paying 20% from the very beginning, right? But from when does it go up to 40%? Is it the same as on the arising basis from GBP 50.271?
Or are the tax rates completely different when being on the remittance basis? I am speaking solely of bringing money I have earned abroad into UK.
Many thanks!

maths

Re: Remittance Basis

Postby maths » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:49 am

The normal rates of income/capital gains taxes apply.

A claim for remittance basis treatment gives rise to a loss of personal allowance and the annual exempt amount.

The taxability of any remittance depends upon the nature of the remittance which may prove complex if remittances are made out of so-called "mixed" accounts (as there are rules dictating which elements contained within the mixed account are deemed to be treated as remitted first etc).

There may also be currency implications; UK tax is sterling based.

Any remittances will of course need to be declared.

nathan123

Re: Remittance Basis

Postby nathan123 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:40 pm

The higher rate band will start at £37,700.

Return to “Income Tax”