This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Total Loss to Carry Forward Help

Tom2247
Total Loss to Carry Forward Help

Postby Tom2247 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello,

I'm currently trying to fill in my 3rd Self Assessment tax return and getting a bit stuck on the losses carried forward section.

1st year £5448 loss (buying stock)

2nd year £968 profit, used past years losses to offset (£4480 loss unused)

3rd year I have now got £1731 profit, under the "Loss brought forward from earlier years set-off against 2020-21 profits" question I entered the full £1731 but now on the next page is has a question saying "Total loss to carry forward after all other set-offs including unused losses brought forward".

So my question is, do I put the full £4480 I had left unused after last year, or now it is only £2749 after I used some on the previous page?

It may be a stupid question but I don't want to get it wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

pawncob

Re: Total Loss to Carry Forward Help

Postby pawncob » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am

It's the lower amount.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”