This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Voluntary Class 2 NIC's

Tom2247
Voluntary Class 2 NIC's

Postby Tom2247 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:37 pm

My profit was lower than the £6475 limit so Class 2 NIC is voluntary, should I still choose to pay it?

I know there are certain benefits but the main one seems to be self-employed maternity pay and I won't need that, I am a single male in my early 20's and as far as I can tell I need to make contributions for 35 years by the time I retire to get full benefits but as the retirement age will be well into the 60's so I still have time.

Does it make sense to pay it voluntarily?

Thanks

darthblingbling

Re: Voluntary Class 2 NIC's

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:41 pm

Sounds like investment advice to me

JOHNRE

Re: Voluntary Class 2 NIC's

Postby JOHNRE » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Who knows how many NI years you will need in 10, 20 or 30 years time to get a full State Pension? Given that it’s only about £160 it would seem to be well worth it….

Return to “Income Tax”