This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Closing self-employment after leaving UK

Trexl33
Closing self-employment after leaving UK

Postby Trexl33 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:36 pm

Hello everyone,

I was registered as self-employed in the UK to report side freelance income. I left the UK a few years ago but maintained my HMRC account because I thought my absence would be temporary and continued to do some freelance work while abroad (mostly for UK clients, and receiving payments into a UK account, but always well below the tax allowance threshold – around £3000 per year).

I submitted tax returns every year from abroad because I thought it was required, but now that my absence is clearly no longer temporary or short-term, filing these returns no longer makes sense, as I have no residence in the UK and don't know when or if I'll be back.

I updated my HMRC account with my foreign address promptly after leaving, but without form P85, as I thought I would be back soon.

What is the best way to wind this affair down in an orderly fashion? Is the HMRC online chat a good way to close this?

Many thanks!

pawncob

Re: Closing self-employment after leaving UK

Postby pawncob » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Submit a P85.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Trexl33

Postby Trexl33 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:26 pm

Thanks. Two questions:

1. Will submission of the P85 automatically "cancel" the Tax Return they expect by Jan 31?

2. Given that I submitted some annual tax returns after the leaving date entered in the P85 form, will that cause issues?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:30 pm

No. You'll have to explain ti to HMRC.

Trexl33

Postby Trexl33 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:28 pm

Thanks again. Do you think they are likely to cause difficulties? They really shouldn't, given that I acted from a good-faith desire to do things 100% honestly, but I'm still anxious.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:50 am

You don't owe them anything, so they really couldn't care less!

Return to “Income Tax”