This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance Tax - Birthday and Christmas Gifts

skray
Inheritance Tax - Birthday and Christmas Gifts

Postby skray » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:30 am

Hi
I understood there is an annual allowance of £3000 and small gifts of upto £250 per person per year is exempted from Inheritance Tax. There is further exemption on wedding gifts between £1000-£5000 depending on relation.

At the below URL
https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts
I found under Small gift allowance:
You can give as many gifts of up to £250 per person as you want each tax year, as long as you have not used another allowance on the same person.
Birthday or Christmas gifts you give from your regular income are exempt from Inheritance Tax.

I would like to ask if Birthday or Christmas gifts are a separate allowance or already included in the £3000 or £250 allowance. If yes then what is the maximum amount that I can give away in cash for Birthday or Christmas gifts. Does it have to be Christmas or any religious occasion.

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Return to “Income Tax”