This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sharing allowances

Corazones
Sharing allowances

Postby Corazones » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:32 pm

My wife and myself, both pensioners, share rental income from two properties. We had an unusually high repair bill this time(2020-2021) - a replacement roof and gas boiler. In my wife’s return she has £900 of unused allowances, unlike myself. I seem to recall there is some way this can be offset? My return has just been submitted.
Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

bd6759

Re: Sharing allowances

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:56 am

It’s still possible

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance

Corazones

Re: Sharing allowances

Postby Corazones » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:24 am

Many thanks, bd, for that reassurance and helpful link.

Yesterday afternoon we gave up trying the helpline after 40 minutes, but early this morning we got straight through. He was very helpful, guided my wife through it and said he would look back over previous years (when I have always paid more tax than her) to see whether any retrospective adjustments could be possible.

One thing I have often wondered with self-assessment - the optional attachments. I usually just list what spreadsheets, receipts etc I have available on request, but never know whether to attach them at that stage.

Return to “Income Tax”