This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When do i get my tax bill (including payments in advance)?

HappyHippyDad
When do i get my tax bill (including payments in advance)?

Postby HappyHippyDad » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:21 pm

Hello all,

I am self employed and am a sole trader.

I submitted my tax return about a week ago. The initial calculation of the amount of tax to pay always includes a 'first payment in advance' for the following tax year. It states this does not include any previous payments in advance that may have been made.

My question is.... will I get a bill which shoes the correct amount to pay (i.e including the payments in advance I made last year), or do I just work that out myself and take it off the initial calculation. It's getting a little close to the 31st Jan and I just want to pay my bill.

Many thanks.

maths

Re: When do i get my tax bill (including payments in advance)?

Postby maths » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 pm

Calculate the balancing payment on your pre tax profit for accounts ending in tax year 20/21 after taking into account any payments on account you have already made in January 2021 and July 2021. Then add the payment on account for the forthcoming tax year 21/22. All to be paid by 31.1.22.

It's annoying when HMRC initially ignore POAs

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:34 am

You should never expect that hmrc will send you a paper reminder unfortunately , you could get one but always default to presuming you will receive zilch

Presuming you sunmitted online ,simply login to your online acount and "view account" and you will be able to view a summary of what is due and that will also show you the splits for each tax year individually.
Note i am presuming your online submitted return has been fully processed , to check if it has been check the overall tax due for 20/21 matches you expectations based on what was submitted.

Note the 2021/22 payments on acount due will never show up until the 2021 return has ben processed so if the 21/22 payments on acount are presaent you know your 2021 return has been processed.

HappyHippyDad

Postby HappyHippyDad » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:02 pm

That's really helpful, thankyou both for replying.

Return to “Income Tax”