This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Non Resident Tax on UK Rental Property

Expat1
Non Resident Tax on UK Rental Property

Postby Expat1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm

Hi, Im originally from the UK but have worked overseas for a number of years (except one :o) covid year looking after elderly family). If i work overseas is my uk property income allowed the 12k allowance before tax comes into affect?

Thanks

darthblingbling

Re: Non Resident Tax on UK Rental Property

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:21 pm

As long as you are a UK or EEA National (and a few other things allowed under UK legislation).

If not, may be possible under a tax treaty depending where you are tax resident.

Just make sure you claim it on the residency pages of the tax return as it's not automatic if you're non resident.

Don't forget it may also be taxable in your country of residence.

Expat1

Postby Expat1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:10 pm

Thank you darthblingbling!

Expat1

Postby Expat1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:22 pm

Hi Darthblingbling

Question. If i work overseas but im in the UK just under half the year. I’ll be tax equalized in the UK so will have to pay any additional tax up to my tax amount in the UK. If this is the higher tax rate. Will my rental property income be taxed also at that higher rate?

Appreciate your help!

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:31 pm

Tax equalisation agreements are usually done in the best interests of the employer given that they are meeting your tax liability in the host country on a grossed up basis and potentially significant cost, you should speak to them to confirm the position for your personal income for when they do the reconciliation.

Expat1

Postby Expat1 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 pm

Thank you!

Return to “Income Tax”