This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling on Ebay

joeian
Selling on Ebay

Postby joeian » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:56 am

Hi all,
I would appreciate some advice.
In tax year 2020/21 I decided to sell unwanted items on ebay like kids shoes, clothing they have grown out of, some small used appliances I didn’t need. I also sold some items I was given when I was made redundant and didn’t really need.
I’am in full time employment and do a self assessment every year as I have shares.
I made £1145 selling the items on eBay but I didn’t realise I made that amount, just got carried away.
The question is do declare this if so do I put it in the “self employment section” or the “other uk income section”.
Can I add, none of the items were purchased for intention of resale.
I have phoned HMRC twice and got two different answers.

Thanks in advance

pawncob

Re: Selling on Ebay

Postby pawncob » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:42 pm

Sales of personal items are not "income" for tax purposes.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bigroads

Postby bigroads » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:10 pm

I fully agree with the author above that this kind of sale is not taxed. Previously, I was also interested in this issue and consulted with a lawyer.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:39 pm

Also, even if they were, I'd image your original cost would be higher than the sale price, so cannot see there being much scope for profit

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:10 am

Also, even if they were, I'd image your original cost would be higher than the sale price, so cannot see there being much scope for profit
That’s not how accounts are prepared, but it’s irrelevant. There is no trade therefore no tax.

Return to “Income Tax”