This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Relief working from home - laptop

Yiannis17
Relief working from home - laptop

Postby Yiannis17 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:03 pm

Afternoon

I have someone who wants to claim the cost of his laptop as he had to work from home during covid. The £6 weekly relief is one thing I understand but his employer did not reimburse him for the cost of the lap top so he wants to claim it through his self assessment.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you

darthblingbling

Re: Relief working from home - laptop

Postby darthblingbling » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:52 pm

Was it wholly, exclusively and necessary for the job. Any reason why his employer didn't provide him with one?

Yiannis17

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:32 am

Morning and thank you.

There is no reason at all. And looking at EIM31620 I don't think he has a leg to stand on. I know that certain rules were relaxed during the lockdown.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 am

Think there was a relaxation for employers providing equipment and furniture for home use so long as it was on a loan arrangement.

If buying his own laptop for work I'd think it would need to come under the wholly, exclusively and necessary provision; the latter is usually the hardest to prove as normally your employer would provide everything you need to carry out the job. If he's just buying a laptop to make the job easier for his own preference then likely won't satisfy.

Return to “Income Tax”