This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Relief on SIPP contributions

lander
Tax Relief on SIPP contributions

Postby lander » Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:01 pm

I know we get tax relief at 20 or 40% on contributions to a pension fund made from salary earnings, (which suffer PAYE)
`
What I would like to know, please, is if I get paid by dividends from my company, -not salary-which has tax at 7.5% and 32.5% deducted, whether there is a an analogous tax relief for dividends.

ben_power

Re: Tax Relief on SIPP contributions

Postby ben_power » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:49 pm

To benefit from tax relief HMRC classifies various sources of income as relevant or non-relevant earnings. Dividend income in 'non-relevant' unfortunately. If your only income is via dividends you will be limited to £3,600 gross which would mean a net payment by you of £2,880.

If your company pays you 'some;' income, up to your personal income tax allowance of £12,570 for example, this would count as relevant earnings and your annual allowance would increase to £12,570.

lander

Re: Tax Relief on SIPP contributions

Postby lander » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Curses!
Thanks a lot.

Return to “Income Tax”