This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

HMRC Tax Calc disallowing MA claim

Jholm
HMRC Tax Calc disallowing MA claim

Postby Jholm » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Been receiving a number of SA calculations, stating HMRC cannot accept the claim for marriage allowance since they do not fit the criteria.

However (and it's a big however), no such claims have been made.

Just me?

robbob

Re: HMRC Tax Calc disallowing MA claim

Postby robbob » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:57 pm

Generally the claim has been made you simply will not be aware that the claim has been made :)

Worst case is clients who disengage you go to "married couples allowance limited" and pay them a huge wad to sort the claim you have either already have done or would have been willing to do foc had they simply asked you if trying to save extra tax without telling you is sensible.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:02 pm

Oh yes, I know about those ones.... and the uniform rebate companies!

The ones I've seen this happen for have most definitely only been dealt with by me - good clients :)

robbob

Postby robbob » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:40 pm

The ones I've seen this happen for have most definitely only been dealt with by me - good clients :)
I have no evidence that hmrc go off on one of benders like they can do with tax codes - a marriage transfer reequest needs to be actioned and approved so can't happen by accident - or certainly should not do so

Clients may have contacted hmrc tehmselves to action as some clients are prone to do

The other biggest danger here is that a verbal request for transfer might have been miscommunicated - ie you intended for year x only and hmrc officer has procssed that as continual transfer.

Being frank there is always the danger that tongoing ransfer has been done some considerable period of time and that that fact has been forgotten.

I would expect hmrc would have details as to when request was actioned - so that may clear things up.

I have random other people doing funny stuff here in our office and i am yet to have hmrc banged to rights here by finding they had been doing stuff for no reason - is always been the case that request has been made.

Note i am highly unlikely to give hmrc the benefit of the doubt with regard to anything - perhaps i should not be not blaming them here if you know what i mean - like to save my fury for when i know its well deserved - which will likely be any dytnamic tax code issues by the stupidly dumb coding computer - no offence mean to coding computers in general.

Now if you had said legitimate transfers were being denied by hmrc then .... . ..... ..... .. fish.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:23 am

My partner has had marriage allowance in her tax code for the last 4 years until I found out.... she's never been married!

robbob

Postby robbob » Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:18 pm

I guess the thing to do is ring and ask how and when the transfer was actioned - perhaps it could be hmrc getting peeps mixed up perhaps all a bit bizzare.

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:58 pm

HMRC got stumped.... guess what? Referral for a call back never!

Return to “Income Tax”