This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working from home salaried + self employed

dimke
Working from home salaried + self employed

Postby dimke » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:30 pm

I have both a salaried job that was in an office and do extra self-employed work from home. I used to add a small part of utility bills as expenses in order to account for that. However, I realised my bills have increased substantially mainly because from Covid on my salaried work has downsized the office and we are asked to come only 1 day/week. So I am at home, not exactly by choice. I am a bit confused about the effect on the self-assessment, can/should I just increase the % of utility bills to account for the extra time home so it's deducted from my self employement income?

I followed the wizard from the £6/week description (not sure how that applies if you do 4 days at home, 1 office), and it pointed me to the self-assessment.

I'd have to amend last year's (I assume I can, I already amended once due to other reason), but it just occurred to me as I was "marvelling" of my new power tariff and calculating that just the electricity and just for my computer setup for a day's work from home will be about £1! Never mind heating, etc above that. Madness, but that's not for this forum.

Return to “Income Tax”