This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Writing back capitalised interest.

pawncob
Writing back capitalised interest.

Postby pawncob » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:23 am

A development partnership has taken many years to complete and sell the properties, and during that time interest due to the partners on finance provided has created large losses for tax purposes.
The partners now wish to to forego the interest due to them, which has been added to their loan accounts. This will create a profit in the final year which they can nullify by using the accumulated losses.
The capitalised interest has been included on the partners' tax returns, and minimal tax has been paid on this, which they are quite happy to accept.
As far as I can see, this is just an accounting exercise with no tax implications, but I'd love to hear other opinions.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”