This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will filling in a HMRC 'sole trader' tax return alert my employer that I'm freelancing?

prophet.mani
Will filling in a HMRC 'sole trader' tax return alert my employer that I'm freelancing?

Postby prophet.mani » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:13 pm

Hello all,

I work full time at a 9-5 job and my tax is of course automatically deducted from my pay via PAYE.

In the past year I've also started doing some freelance work on the side which has bought in more than £1,000 so I'll need to fill out a sole trader tax return for HMRC.

My question is - will filling in the latter alert my main employer that I am freelancing? Will HMRC get in touch with them or anything like that?

I suspect my main employer will take a dim view of me freelancing and it would risk me being put in the 'not fully committed' camp, which is in fact true, as my long-term goal is to become freelance full-time. However atm the freelance is nowhere near enough to live off so I need to keep my current job. Basically, I'd much rather they didn't know.

If anyone has any advice on this it would be much appreciated.

best,
ARenter

someone

Re: Will filling in a HMRC 'sole trader' tax return alert my employer that I'm freelancing?

Postby someone » Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 pm

They won't know. At most they will get a notice to adjust your tax code but they won't be told why.

Return to “Income Tax”